We welcome you to visit the "Job Opportunities" page of our website at www.nkyhealth.org for links to CareerBuilder and a list of all positions open for application.
Northern Kentucky Health Department
REGISTERED ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST [Code: REHSO]
Do you want to make your community a better place to live by preventing disease, promoting wellness and protecting against health threats? Are you excited about being part of a team focused on making a difference? Does work/life balance appeal to you? If you answered YES, then it may be time for you to find the job you love right here at NKY Health. The Environmental Health and Safety Division is accepting applications for Registered Environmental Health Specialists to provide public health environmental services essential for a safe and healthy community and to perform related duties. Initially the position will be assigned to the onsite program and will be located at our District office currently in Florence, KY. We could be waiting for YOU!
Status: Full-time (40 hours/week) non-exempt (hourly pay) merit system position
Classification: Registered Environmental Health Specialist (REHS)
Starting Pay Rate: $23.42 - $27.15/hour (based on your years of directly related paid experience)
Reports To: Environmental Health Manager
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
Under general direction:
- Plans and carries out inspections and detailed investigations. (Conducts site evaluations for septic systems. Reviews proposals for and inspects installation and backfill of onsite sewage systems. Reviews subdivision plans and meets with developer for preliminary approval process of sewage system. Investigates and determines working condition of existing sewage system involved in building process and real estate sales. Determines feasibility of municipal sewers. Inspects temporary food establishments. Investigates complaints. In absence of other registered sanitarians, assists with inspecting assigned establishments including but not limited to regular and temporary food establishments, hotels/motels, mobile home and recreational vehicle parks, schools, youth confinement facilities, public facilities, private sewer and septic systems, and tattoo studios. Investigates assigned animal bites, complaints, confirmed outbreaks, and public health nuisances. Issues/renews permits. Verifies rabies immunizations. Onsite Inspector Certification to be maintained throughout incumbency.)
- Produces Detailed Investigations and Reports. (Writes establishment reports in manner that is detailed and explicit to the findings observed during inspections. Provides accurate and thorough documentation when conducting an investigation.)
- Provides consultation and community outreach. (Assists installer, homeowner, and other inspectors with troubleshooting failing sewage systems and recommending course of action for repairs of said systems. While investigating/inspecting, educates about illness or injury that could result from not adhering to pertinent health code(s) and about how to correct known violations. Distributes educational materials to target audience(s). Provides continuing education classes/seminars for certified onsite sewage installers.)
- Carries out enforcement actions. (Quarantines and releases animals as needed. Collects evidence and assembles information with regard to violations of rules, regulations, and policies. Issues enforcement notices when needed and as appropriate. Prepares records for administrative hearings. Represents the Health Department in court cases.)
- Collects and submits specimens/samples for laboratory analysis. (Collects specimens/samples for laboratory analysis. Packs and ships specimens/samples to be sent to laboratory.)
- Performs administrative duties as assigned. (Produces program reports as assigned by management.)
- Completes special projects. (Responds to public health emergencies as assigned. Completes other special projects.)
- Performs other duties. (Attends work as scheduled or uses approved leave. Collaborates in and contributes to individual, team, and/or organizational quality improvement and evaluation activities. Participates in internal and external meetings. Serves on internal and external committees. Completes timecard. Completes travel reports. Completes required training. Completes other assigned reports.)
Minimum Pre-Hire Qualifications:
Valid, Active Driver’s License, reliable transportation, and Bachelors degree in Environmental Health or closely related field from an accredited university/college
Minimum Post-Hire Qualifications:
Both of the following:
- Must attain Registered Sanitarian designation from Kentucky within 1 year of appointment date and maintain throughout incumbency AND
- Must attain and maintain any required certification(s) for assigned programs.
Same as above plus prior public health experience and/or bilingual English/Spanish.
Please submit applications through CareerBuilder only (www.careerbuilder.com).
We're sorry but to be fair we have to discard paper applications, faxed applications,
and emailed applications without considering them.
If you apply now we will consider you immediately.
We’ll accept your application as long as the position is posted on CareerBuilder.
Please reference code REHSO on any attachments or correspondence. No phone calls, paper applications, or paper resumes please. Selection will be made by interview(s), and/or review of submitted documentation, which must indicate that applicant meets minimum qualifications. Criminal background check will be required. Failure to meet any of the selection criteria shall disqualify an applicant.
Northern Kentucky Health Department Human Resources – REHSO
Please visit our website at www.nkyhealth.org to
view other opportunities to join our family.