Northern Kentucky Health Department
April 9, 2021
District Secretary [Code: DSEC]
Do you want to make your community a better place to live by preventing disease, promoting wellness and protecting against health threats? Are you excited about being part of a team focused on making a difference? Do you like new challenges? Does work/life balance appeal to you? If you answered YES, then it may be time for you to find the job you love right here at NKY Health. The Office of the District Director of Health is accepting applications for a full-time (40 hours/week) District Secretary to support the highest level executive position(s) responsible for establishing NKY Health policies and fostering programs and to perform related duties. This position will be based at our District office in Florence but may travel within our four county district. Usual work hours are M-F between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. with some evening meetings. We could be waiting for YOU!
Full-time non-exempt (paid hourly salary) merit system position
Classification: District Secretary Band: 6 Starting Pay Rate: $17.26 – $20.01/hour (based on years of directly related paid experience)
District Director of Health
Essential Functions include, but are not limited to:
- On behalf of those supported, Supervisor or Division Directors, prepares a variety of drafts of correspondence, reports, and forms. (Routinely prepares minutes from the District and Local Boards of Health and the Executive Committee meetings. Files, manages and maintains documents. Prepares minutes from other committee and/or other meetings as needed/assigned. Prepares draft memos, emails, letters, assists in mailing meeting packets and other communications to Board members, such as for new Board Member orientation, and others as directed. Creates and maintains complex fillable and non-fillable forms and spreadsheets as needed. Prepares simple to complex routine and non-routine reports. Maintains complete and accurate records and manages files sufficiently to store and retrieve information on demand.)
- Assists in coordinating meetings/functions. (Maintains District Director of Health’s calendar, scheduling meetings as needed, setting up meetings with invites and follow-up with meeting preparations. Maintains VMD UL and LL conference room calendars for entire agency and outside agencies upon request. Maintains District and Local board(s), District Board of Health committee(s) meeting dates, and packet mailing dates. Coordinates annual New Board member orientation meeting(s), keeping Board Manual updated. Assists in assembling packets for meetings including board/committee meetings and other assigned meetings. Assists in mailing packets for meetings, including board/committee meetings. Ensures attendance confirmations for quorums. Ensures meetings (rooms and/or virtual technology) are set up for Local and District Boards of Health, Personnel Board meetings, and other assigned meetings. Creates Purchase Orders and orders food for Local and District Boards of Health meetings, Personnel Board, and other meetings as assigned. Maintains food setup supplies (paper plates, cups, napkins, condiments, serving utensils, bottled water, etc.) are in supply cabinet for scheduled meetings.)
- Performs broad range of administrative duties. (Maintains list(s) of current contact information for District and Local Boards of Health and all Committee members, notifying the District Director of Health and Supervisor of any changes/updates. Obtains signatures on checks/board documents as needed. Assist with Contracts/MOA’s as needed, obtaining signature from District Director of Health, scan documents and forward originals to Accounting Manager/Specialist. Acts as backup to process all incoming mail. Maintains postage meter (maintenance and funds).Ensures routing, delivery and filing of items for District Director of Health. Maintains assigned petty cash for Administration and Accounting division. Acts as backup to receive and route incoming faxes. Delivers mail to Post Office as needed/required. Proofreads/edits proficiently for all divisions, ensuring public news releases/documents are accurate. Various conference registrations for District Director of Health. Handles travel arrangements as needed for District Director of Health.)
- Screens and routes mail, telephone calls, messages, and visitors directed to District Director of Health. (Answers routine inquiries. Directs non-routine inquiries to appropriate parties. Apprises District Director of Health or Director of Administration and Accounting of non-routine matters.)
- Completes special projects. (Ensures closed signs are posted on VMD doors for holiday/all staff meeting closures. Visually checks the AED monthly maintenance for VMD upper level. Responds to public health emergencies as assigned. Completes other special projects.)
- Performs receptionist duties. (Answers phones. Greets visitors, enter information onto District Office Sign-In spreadsheet. Forwards calls. Answers non-technical questions from callers. Ensures safety items are brought to a shelter or evacuation gathering. Ensures packages are routed to the appropriate individuals.)
- Performs other duties. (Attends work as scheduled or use approved leave. Collaborates in and contributes to individual, team, and/or organizational quality improvement and evaluation activities. Participates in internal and external meetings. Serves on internal and external committees. Completes timecard. Completes travel reports. Completes required training. Completes other assigned duties.)
Minimum Pre-Hire Qualifications:
A valid, active driver’s license, reliable transportation and either of the following is required prior to appointment date:
- High school diploma or equivalent plus 4 years of full-time directly related work experience.
- The equivalent combination of experience and education sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
Minimum Post-Hire Qualifications:
Must complete job-specific training as assigned.
Same as above plus prior experience supporting boards public health or public sector.
Please submit applications through CareerBuilder ONLY (www.careerbuilder.com).
We're sorry but to be fair we have to discard paper applications, faxed applications,
and e-mailed applications without considering them.
For immediate consideration apply by 4/19/2021.
If you’d like to wait, we’ll accept your application as long as the position is posted on CareerBuilder.
Please reference code DSEC on any attachments or correspondence. No phone calls, paper applications, or paper resumes please. Selection will be made by interview(s), and/or review of submitted documentation, which must indicate that applicant meets minimum qualifications. Applicant will be required to demonstrate skills. Criminal background check will be required. Failure to meet any of the selection criteria shall disqualify an applicant.
Northern Kentucky Health Department Human Resources – DSEC
Please visit our website at www.nkyhealth.org to
view other opportunities to join our family.