The Barren River District Health Department is accepting applications for a full-time Local Epidemiologist. This position will be based in Bowling Green, but will serve all eight counties (Barren, Butler, Edmonson, Hart, Logan, Metcalfe, Simpson and Warren). The minimum hourly wage is $17.00. The minimum educational requirement is a bachelor’s in Epidemiology, Public health, Biostatistics or closely related field. Course work should include at least one course in epidemiology and a second course in a closely related subject area as Biostatistics, Vital and Medical Statistics, Informatics, Survey Sampling and Design etc.
The applicant will work with the Communicable Disease Team at Barren River District Health Department (BRDHD).
Duties: In collaboration with communicable disease nurse and/or regional epidemiologist, the employee will:
- Provide disease surveillance and investigation within the community; investigate and follow-up on specific state mandated reportable diseases.
- Serve as a resource person for reportable conditions to medical providers /community agencies regarding communicable disease issues. Analyze and evaluate findings including reportable disease forms, laboratory specimen results, clinical symptoms, and risk to community.
- Utilize NEDSS (National Electronic Disease Surveillance System) in reporting state mandated diseases.
- Provide public health recommendations based on State and agency policies and Centers for Disease Control guidelines. Consultation (as warranted) with communicable disease nursing staff, local or regional epidemiologist, state health department consultants and area medical providers for the purpose of assuring appropriate public health measures are advised for the protection of the public’s health.
- Collaborate with appropriate resources to assure continuity and compliance with public health recommendations.
- Conduct telephone interviews/consultations with medical providers, infection control practitioners, childcare facilities, local health departments, involving disease transmission, addressing complaints and concerns regarding communicable diseases.
- Collaborate with environmental health staff addressing public health recommendations as indicated.
- Educate individuals, community agencies; medical providers regarding role of local health department in regards to investigation, follow-up and public health recommendations.
- Maintain knowledge of guidelines for proper laboratory/specimen handling.
The minimum hourly wage is $17.00 with excellent benefits. Employees are under probationary period for 6 months. Once the probationary period is completed, the employee's salary will increase 5%.
Applicant must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license. Applicants will be screened then interviewed. The successful applicant will be required to pass a pre-employment drug test and background check.
Applications must be submitted to the below website to be considered for this position.
Website for application submission: https://kog.chfs.ky.gov